Rules of the School
Our priority is to ensure students enjoyment and safety while training at Manotick Martial Arts and Fitness. The following rules apply to all students and where applicable, to the parents, siblings and all visitors.
- All outside footwear must be removed before the carpeted area. Please make sure to put shoes and boots on the shelves.
- Parents are encouraged to watch classes but are requested not to speak or distract the students during a class.
- Parents and guests please keep talking in the lobby to a minimum while instructors are delivering the announcements and messages.
- Keep cell phones on vibrate and step outside to make phone calls.
- Children should be supervised at all times so they do not disturb the class in progress.
- Parents should remain on-site while the class is in progress. If you do have to leave to run an errand, please inform us at the front desk first.
- Please keep fingernails and toenails short and neat to avoid injury. (Students may be refused attendance to the class)
- No food or chewing gum on the mat area.
- Help keep our school clean by throwing away cups and garbage. Please notify the front desk if the bathroom needs attending.
- You must wear either a full gi (pants and top) with belt properly tied or pants and a Manotick Martial Arts t-shirt with belt properly tied.
- Uniforms must be kept neat, clean, and odor-free
- No jewelry may be worn on the mat.
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to scheduled class. Class credit will not be given if a student arrives more than 10 minutes late.
- You will be required to present your attendance card to the instructor before entering the training area. The card is filed by last name in the file box at the front desk.
- Bow upon entering and leaving the mat area.
- Quietly prepare for class and do not disturb the class in session
- Show respect for instructors and fellow students. Always use the proper title for your instructor. When speaking directly to or about an instructor use Sensei, Shidoin, Renshi, etc.
- Always be well-mannered and behave properly. Communicate using polite terms “Please” and “Thank you”.
- Do not talk on the mat during class while the instructor is talking
- Talk with your partner, during training should be limited to your training
- Raise your hand and ask to be excused from the mat to use the restroom, get a drink etc.
- No phones on the mat area.
- When working with partners, bow to each other at the beginning and at the end of each exercise.
- Introduce yourself to fellow students whom you do not know and make them feel welcome. Support your teammates in training both on and off the mat.
- Be supportive and do not criticize other students.
- The martial arts are only to be used for self-defense. Don’t try techniques on friends, brothers, sisters, or school mates.
- Develop and maintain a positive well-disciplined attitude in all areas of your life.
- Always show proper effort and spirit when training.
- No horseplay, no sparring, no running around the mat or in the lobby. Students may practice on the mat when classes are not in session but must receive permission from an instructor.
- Be patient, have fun, and train hard every time you come to class.
- Practice and exercise at home for better results. Juniors must practice with parents’ permission and supervision.